Tuesday, April 1, 2014

An auction "find"

Cheryl came to visit last weekend....and bought with her some quilts she purchased recently at an auction....these hand stitched beauties have no batting, but plain backings - they were advertised in the auction as "bed covers".  I wonder how these wound up in an auction...were no family members wanting to keep them? They have found a good home with Cheryl though!

I took some pics - although it was hard to do these giants justice as they were not only large, but really heavy so it was hard to get good pics........

Having said they were large, this one was the exception and was a small cot/baby quilt in the softest of flannels......



I think these were made from the early 80's with the most recent date n one of the quilts being 2005 ........


 the types of fabric were many and varied....





Fussy cutting.......




I think you will agree that these were a pretty amazing find.....and Rose thought so too as she had a quick nap on them while we were having a cuppa!


'Til next time............Lorraine

17 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow. i agree - what an amazing find. Just beautiful. Hugs,xx

Anonymous said...

wow what awesome finds i am glad they now have a loving home.xx

Every Stitch said...

Thanks for sharing these quilts - so lovely. I especially like the centre features!

Unknown said...

These are amazing, I wonder why they have been sold on. A few years ago I was very ill and in ICU and became worried about what would happen to my quilts if I passed away. It encouraged me to finish the quilts that had not been finished and then I had conversations with my family. They reassured me they would be kept, but what happens in the future. Perhaps they would be sold on as well. Best wishes Wendy

Susan said...

What a great find. So much work in them. A least they are in good hands now. I too have spoken with my family about my quilts. I think they will want to keep them, but if not they're taking them to the nearest quilt shop.

Daisy Jayne said...

what an amazing find.... if only there was a bit of history to them.... well they have a new home and journey starting....thanks so much for sharing

Leanne said...

Wow they are amazing and they are huge.

Sue SA said...

What a great find, so glad they have found a good home.

Joolz said...

Gee, the maker must have been seeing hexies in her sleep after making all of these! Lovely treasures.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

They are amazing Loz

KERYN B said...

There beautiful how could you bear to part with them.

Katie said...

Wow. So special! I think I need to go get mine out and start working on it again!

Michelle said...

Wow all that work and no one to love them! Glad they've found a good home.

Chantal said...

Wow. I love hexies and these are just amazing. Adorable! How many are they? What a fabulous find. Thank you so much for sharing.

Karen H said...

I am a maker of hexagon quilts and it is so sad that these quilts were up for auction. On the other hand I am happy that they found a good home where they will be treasured! Thank you so much for sharing!

Kath said...

I just popped over from Karens blog, being a big hexy fan. I love your quilts, thankyou for showing. I'm just trying to stop myself from beginning a new one, having seen these! :-D

Angie in SoCal said...

I've just come over from Karen's blog and am so glad I did! What an amazing find! Love love the fourth quilt you show. They are all gorgeous. I invite you to link to Hexie Weekend to once again show off these beauties.