Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fun and Frivolity .....part 2

Well.......here we are again....another weekend done and dusted and Christmas creeping up ....who am I kidding....Christmas isn't creeping up it is hurtling toward us and will be here before we know it!  Anyhoo, I am playing catch up with blog posts and am up to last weekend when I spent two days with Margaret Sampson George at Hetties....and it was time well spent!  What a wealth of knowledge Marg has to offer....I have been a fan of her work for a while so when the class came up I jumped at the chance to attend.  We looked at hexagons, drafting them, looking at the shapes that make up a hexagon...all things hexagon.......Mr Stewart my maths teacher from high school would have been proud of me......I think!  I should have paid more attention way back when......

Marg got us started.......


 and then it was our turn......


 
Once we got going there was no stopping us! 
 

 
I spent a lot of time on the drafting - not only as I wanted to retain as much knowledge of it as I could, but it was actually quite addictive once you consider that the possibilities for making blocks up are almost endless....and also because I am a procrastinator when it comes to choosing fabrics!.........So I spent some time looking around the room at some of the fabrics that had been brought along........and maybe I spent a bit of time in the shop looking at yet more options ...
 
Bob has recently returned to Hetties after a few weeks of being "lost"....he joined us for a while and was quite content to sleep the afternoon away...on a quilt of course!
 
 
 


Lorraine had some pre cuts of Jen Kingwell's new fabric Gardenvale.....


some of Marg's samples.....



 Day two was all about the fabric.....and I had to make a start......I would like to claim all this hexi goodness as my own, but not one of these blocks was mine....most are Marg's with a few class blocks included.....pretty!!



but I did manage to choose fabric for a couple of blocks by the end of day two....although the centre of first block was changed later.........
 

 
On the way home the light was great....so I had to stop and take a couple of pics....



I "hit the wall" by the end of this week after a very busy time at work and not much time at home so cancelled all plans for this weekend and stayed home.......I did miss the stitching day with the girls, but just needed some time at home to catch up on some domestic chores and just "be"!  It was stormy yesterday and the power went out for a few hours so that put paid to most house cleaning tasks....so I tackled cleaning the oven......it looks so good now I am loathe to use it!  I did buy the oven cleaner some time ago but having it in the cupboard doesn't seem to do the trick.....one has to actually get it out and spray it on!  Who knew?  so I am going into this working week feeling quite refreshed after a lazy day today.......

I will leave you with this little guy......the main Christmas decorations are still in boxes in the garage but I bought a pair of these cuties the other day.....couldn't resist.....

 
Happy days!
 
'til next time......................Lorraine
 
 


8 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love all the hexie blocks! And the bird ornament.

Katie said...

Wow. I never thought about designing my own hexies that way. How cool!

Love your birdie. We are about to have all of our plumbing ripped out and replaced and I’m loathe to bring out the Christmas stuff and subject it to the inevitable dust and dirt. Sigh. I guess I shouldn’t complain. New non-leaky plumbing is something to celebrate! :-)

Cardygirl said...

Nice to see what you have been up to! Love the hexies with Marg. Hope you are rested now!

Shay said...

Now I know you have this knowledge , I’m going to getting you to come up with a diamond shape that will fit next to my 1 and a quarter inch hexagons....

We missed you on Saturday but I know all about those “just be” days. Sometimes cleaning the oven is more necessary than stitching ...and you’ve just reminded me that my oven is looking pretty grubby...Ive been waiting for the elves to do it but it appears they are on strike.

Sue SA said...

Your going to be "seeing" hexis in your sleep! Love the Christmas bird, very cute.

Kath said...

Oh dear, you have the hexy bug and there is no cure LOL
I'm going to be teaching EPP at our local fabric shop after Christmas and I'm busy making samples.
I look forward very much to seeing what you make with your new skills :-D

Susan said...

Looks like a great workshop, some of those fabric choices would scare me though.......maybe I need a lesson in brights! Cute little birdy.

Lynda said...

Gosh those hexagons are wonderful. Really like the ones you made and love your new little bird.